Using Royalty Meat Company’s Whole Chicken & Garlic Pork Smoked Sausage
- 1 onion
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1 stalk celery
- 3 pods garlic
- 1 pound garlic pork sausage
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- Gumbo mix (Mam Papaul, Louisiana, Zatarains, Oak Grove, etc,)
- Salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and Tony Chachere’s to taste
- Chop onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic.
- Brown sausage and chicken.
- Make roux: in a large, microwave safe bowl, whisk oil and flour, and microwave one minute at a time (whisking in between) until mixture is the color of a brown bag. Immediately add chopped seasonings to roux and stir until sizzling stops. Add about a cup of very hot/boiling water and stir (or whisk) until flour is smooth. Microwave 2-3 minutes at a time for about 10 minutes, stirring in between. Watch closely that it doesn’t boil over in microwave.
- While roux is cooking, combine water and gumbo mix in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Stir roux mixture into gumbo mix. Cook a while, add seasonings to taste and add water to achieve desired consistency.
- Add browned chicken and sausage and cook until chicken is done. Remove chicken and debone. Add back to gumbo and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve over rice.